Editorial Assistant - Remote Opportunity
LabX Media Group is a science media company that produces monthly print publications and hosts a variety of digital media platforms and websites. We are an organization that is in high growth mode, both organic as well as through a full spectrum of acquisitions. We have been named to the PROFIT 500: Canada's Fastest-Growing Companies list for 6 years.
There are lots of exciting things going on with our company and here is an opportunity to be a part of it!
Lab Manager, a LabX Media Group company, is currently looking for an editorial assistant to join our editorial team. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the editorial assistant will work on three primary pillars; i) social media ii) news iii) proofreading.
This is a US/Canada-based telecommute position operating during US East Coast business hours. The editorial assistant will join a team that collaborates in fulfilling our mission to deliver accurate, meaningful, and engaging stories for our audience. We seek to amplify underrepresented voices, and we encourage journalists from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Find, sort, and choose pieces for various areas of the magazine and website, including news, profiles, features, press releases, and trends pieces
- Post pieces to the website in a timely and efficient way
- Usher pieces through the editing process, from conceptualization to final copy, working with editors, staff writers and freelance reporters
- Proofread articles written by you and teammates
- Deliver all organic social media initiatives for brands
- Monitor the Web for a defined shift, seeking all breaking news and information that is relevant for our brands and verticals, and immediately alerting vertical about such news and information
- Generate breaking news alerts within minutes of a tweet, Facebook post, press release, or any other source of information
- Write breaking news for brand websites and across all social media platforms, adopting the unique needs of a social and mobile audience
- Document social media best practises, and train company-wide editorial staff on implementation
- Make recommendations to the brand’s editorial teams to help increase engagement on our sites, through an innovative social media strategy
- Monitor user comments and respond or forward to a brand editor as appropriate
- Detect social media trends and spread the knowledge to the rest of the editorial team to increase social media traffic
- Other responsibilities may include tracking social media analytics, live tweeting, and some light design and video work
- Contribute to multimedia projects, such as infographics and videos
- Post stories to the website
- Participate in regular editorial meetings, pitch story ideas, support/mentor interns, helping maintain website
- A bachelor’s degree in a scientific field, life science, is preferred; an advanced degree is a plus. A media degree with a science minor is also of interest.
- Demonstrated experience using social media to achieve a goal
- Dedication to the highest standards of journalism
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Outstanding time management
A word about diversity
Lab Manager and its parent company, LabX Media Group (LMG), are equal opportunity employers. Lab Manager and LMG recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote employees regardless of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At Lab Manager, we welcome a diverse mix of talented people who want to do their best work in an inclusive environment. We are dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and seek an editorial staff that reflects the diversity of our society and our audience.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
This is a US/Canada-based telecommute position operating during US East Coast business hours.