Senior Editor - Remote Opportunity
LabX Media Group (the parent company of The Scientist, Technology Networks, Lab Manager, and Drug Discovery News) is looking for an associate or senior editor to assist with re-launching a news magazine written for life scientists working in translational, pre-clinical, drug development, and clinical research in industry, government, non-profit, and academic labs.
We are looking for a creative, collaborative, entrepreneurial science editor with an in-depth understanding of life science research and familiarity with the target audience. Working closely with the content director, the senior editor will build the new editorial scope and mission from the foundation up, ensuring that every piece of content meets the highest editorial standards. They will mentor and manage the editorial team, lead creation of the scientific news content, and develop a strong, engaged audience.
The associate or senior editor will oversee publication of 10 print issues per year, in addition to website and newsletter content. In time, they will also introduce multimedia content, including infographics, podcasts, videos, and other interactive content. The role will be supported by freelance and in-house writers and editors, expert graphic designers, production editors, marketers, web developers, and business managers with proven records of success.
As this is a re-launch, we expect the associate or senior editor to guide the rapid growth of the publication, leading to opportunities for career development and advancement.
- Manage the editorial team of science writers and freelancers in creating monthly print issues, e-newsletters, and website content
- Identify, write, assign, and edit high-quality original features, columns, news articles, and multimedia content
- Build and develop a focused and engaged audience
- Develop a strong network of advisors, sources, scientists, collaborators, and freelance writers
- Convey complex technical ideas using effective, clear, creative, lively storytelling
- Guide designers and videographers in producing scientifically accurate content across media channels including print, digital, social media, video, illustrations, infographics, and e-newsletters
- Strategically distribute and promote the content
- Stay up to date with the changing needs and interests of scientific researchers
- Manage an editorial budget
Required Education & Experience:
- PhD in the life sciences
- 5-9 years of experience in science writing and editing
- Understanding of audience development, performance metrics, and analytics
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Collaborative, creative, and innovative
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time management, research, and analytical skills
- Commitment to journalism standards and best practices
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Experience conducting life science research in a pharma/biotech or translational/pre-clinical laboratory
- Experience mentoring an editorial team and managing an editorial calendar
- Experience training junior writers
- Familiarity with SEO
- Experience communicating and working with a remote team
- Salary will be commensurate with experience
- Participation in company benefits after vesting period
Please send an email with your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a remote position and is open to all eligible candidates in Canada and the US, preference will be given to candidates in the Eastern Timezone.
LabX Media Group is an enthusiastic equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for applying. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.